Momma’s Hearty Soup! (Crock Pot, Slow Cooker Recipe).
Are your children home on summer break? Make some soup with them today and create healthy habits they will enjoy a lifetime!
Most Americans do not eat enough vegetables. Get in the habit of making soup. It is a simple and tasteful way to add vegetables to your diet!
- 1 Pound (or ½ pound) of hamburger or ground Jennie-O turkey
- 2 Cups diced potatoes
- ½ Cup of diced celery
- 1.5 Teaspoons of salt
- 6 Cups water or beef broth
- 2 Medium carrots chopped
- 1 Medium onion chopped
- ¼ Cup brown rice
- 1/8 Teaspoon pepper
- 2 Cans diced tomatoes (14.5 oz)
- 1.5 Cups of shredded purple cabbage (also known as red cabbage)
-Brown the meat with the onions. Drain the grease and put the meat and all the ingredients in the slow cooker. Stir.
- Cook on Low – 6-7 hours.
- Season to taste.
- Enjoy a healthy meal!
-Want to reduce sodium? Use water only or use 3 cups of water and 3 cups of broth.
-If you have time, let the soup sit overnight (refrigerate) and allow the flavors to infuse.
- Beef/Turkey – add some Lawry’s seasoning while browning the meat; you may also add a few cloves of garlic — garlic always makes it better!
- Keep on slow cooking!
P.S. Purple cabbage is so healthy! It is packed with a variety of vitamins, minerals and antioxidant compounds that may increase health.
Powered by Facebook Comments